500 – Australia Student visa
The Australia Student (subclass 500) visa offers students from overseas an opportunity to experience Australia’s world class educational system.
Students applying for this visa must first secure a place in a full-time course offered by a recognised Australian educational institution.
If successful, the applicant will be granted entry to Australia for a duration dependent on the total course duration.
- Visa Applicants
If you want to study full-time in Australia and meet the visa eligibility criteria you may be eligible for this visa.
Before you apply:
- you must already be accepted to study a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) registered full time course at an educational institution in Australia
- if you are under the age of 18 you must have suitable welfare arrangements for the time of your stay
There are certain requirements which must be fulfilled if you wish to apply for a student visa:
This requirement is in place to make sure that applicants granted a student visa intend to temporarily stay in Australia to complete their course of study. The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) is there to make sure that you are entering Australia to study on a temporary basis and not using this visa to gain access into Australia with on-going residency.
Certain students will have to provide proof of their English skills by submitting evidence with their application. Some students may also be exempt but evidence can be asked for at any time of the application.
You must have sufficient funds to cover your course fees, living costs and travel costs for you and your accompanying family members for the duration of your stay.
You might also need to provide proof of these funds with your application.
All applicants will need to meet the health requirements and might also need a health examination.
You need to have acceptable health insurance while in Australia. This can be fulfilled by showing your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSCH).
Some education providers may arrange health cover for you; otherwise you are free to choose a health insurance provider of your choice. You will need to submit the policy number with your application.
All applying students will need to be of good character. On the application there are a number of questions regarding your character and these will be accessed when considering your application.
If you have family members joining you, you can submit a combined application or they can apply later.
- declare family member on your application
- you must have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family members
- The visa is usually given for a period of up to 5 years.
- You are allowed to work up to 40 hours fortnightly during course time and unlimited hours while the course is on break
- Your family members can work up to 40 hours fortnightly after your course has commenced.
- accept your visa conditions
- obey the state and territory laws of Australia
- let us know if your circumstances change
You need to leave Australia before your visa expires, or you need to extend your visa before your visa expires.
You might be able to extend your visa if you want to further your study, for graduation, work or simply to have a holiday. You can only hold one visa at a time so make sure to enquire well before your student visa expires.