590 – Australia Student Guardian visa
The Australia Student Guardian (subclass 590) visa enables the custodian of a child under 18 years to accompany the child while he/she studies in Australia.
If successful, the applicant will be granted entry to Australia for a duration dependent on the total course duration.
- Visa Applicants
This visa is for a parent or guardian to stay in Australia with a student under the age of 18 who holds a student visa.
Before you apply:
- you can apply inside or outside of Australia
- this visa does not allow you to work
- this visa allows you to stay for the same duration as the student up until the student turns 18
- you are permitted to study an English Intensive Course for Overseas Students (EICOE) for less than 20 hours per week
- you are permitted to study another course up to 3 months
- you can care for more than one student
To apply for this visa you must:
- be a parent or have custody of the student, or be a relative over the age of 21 with written consent from the student’s parent
- have sufficient funds to look after yourself and the student, providing accommodation and general support
- have health insurance for yourself and any dependant, as well as meet the health requirements
- be of good character
To apply for this visa you may not:
- bring family members under the age of 6 years old
- be in debt to the Australian Government
- Once granted this visa you must comply with all the visa conditions and obey the state and territory laws of Australia
- You must remain with the student and cannot leave Australia without the student