186 – Australia Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)
Have you found an employer in Australia willing to sponsor you through the Employer Nomination Scheme? Or have you already worked in Australia on a 457 – Temporary Work visa? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be eligible to apply for an Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa.
The Employer Nomination Scheme offers three pathways for skilled workers who want to work in Australia:
- the Temporary Residence Transition stream
- the Direct Entry stream
- the Agreement stream
If you are granted this visa, you will have permanent work rights and will be able to remain in Australia indefinitely.
- Visa Applicants
- Visa Holders
The Employer Nomination Scheme is for highly qualified workers who have held a Temporary Work visa (subclass 457), or who have an approved Australian employer willing to sponsor you.
If granted, this permanent residence visa will allow you to:
- live in Australia permanently
- study at any educational institute in Australia
- make use of Medicare – Australia’s national health scheme
- apply for citizenship once you meet the citizenship criteria
- travel in and out of Australia for 5 years from the day the visa is granted
- sponsor eligible family relatives
To qualify for this visa, you must have an employer who is willing to sponsor you, held a Temporary Work visa (subclass 457), or be sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
- Temporary Residence Transition stream – this stream is for Temporary Work (subclass 457) visa holders who have worked in their nominated occupation for two years for an employer who wants to offer them a permanent role
- Direct Entry stream – this stream is for:
- applicants who have been nominated by the employer
- applicants who have not worked in Australia, or who have only worked in Australia for a short period of time
- temporary residents who do not meet the criteria of the Temporary Residence Transition stream
- Agreement stream – for applicants who are sponsored by an employer under a labour agreement
Just like any Australian permanent resident, you and any additional visa applicants are required to comply with all Australia laws.