190 – Australia Skilled Nominated visa

Do I qualify for a Skilled Nominated visa?

a restaurant manager working on an Australia skilled nominated visa

If your occupation is listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), and your occupation hasn’t yet reached the occupation ceiling for that year, you may be able to apply for an Australia Skilled Nominated visa.

To be eligible for the 190 visa, you must be invited by an Australian state or territory government agency. Before being considered for a visa place by a state or territory government, you will need to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI).

State and territory governments issue invitations to candidates depending on their needs for skilled migrants at the time. When you lodge your EOI, you can specify with states or territories you would consider moving to.

A Skilled Nominated visa will allow you (and any additional applicants) to migrate to Australia on a permanent basis.

  • Introduction
  • Visa Applicants
  • Visa Holder


This visa is suitable for people under 50 years of age and who have the skills and qualifications assessed as being the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) but who do not meet the 60 points pass mark for a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa.

What a Skilled Nominated visa lets you do

If this visa is granted, you and any secondary applicants who have been included in your visa application will be permitted to live in Australia as permanent residents.

As an Australia permanent resident you may:

  • live and work in Australia permanently
  • study in Australian schools, the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector, or universities
  • benefit from subsidised healthcare provided by the Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • receive particular social security payments, subject to waiting periods
  • be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship, subject to meeting residency eligibility criteria
  • sponsor others for Australian permanent residence

Visa Applicants

Main applicant

Age: At time of application for this visa you must be under 50 years of age. Your age on the day you make your application for this visa will determine your eligibility for points.

Points Test: 60 points is the points test pass mark for this visa.

You may be awarded points for:

  • age
  • English language ability
  • Australian skilled employment
  • overseas skilled employment
  • educational qualifications
  • Australian study requirement
  • completion of a Professional Year
  • credentialed community language
  • partner skills
  • state or territory nomination and designated area sponsorship

Skilled employment

You can claim points for employment in your nominated occupation or in a closely related occupation, gained over the past ten years either in Australia or overseas.

You can combine points for skilled employment gained in both Australia and overseas as long as the employment was undertaken in the last 10 years.

The maximum number of points that you can claim for Australian or overseas employment or a combination of Australian and overseas employment is 20 points.

Points awarded: Skilled employment in your nominated occupation or a closely related occupation gained in Australia.

English language ability

The English language threshold is at the competent English level which is equal to a minimum score of six in each of the four components of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test or other language test and score specified by the Minister.

No points will be available for competent English however if you meet the English language threshold you may apply for a visa if you meet the other threshold visa requirements.

Passport holders and citizens of the following countries will meet the English language threshold of competent English:

  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Ireland
  • United Kingdom (UK)
  • United States of America (USA)

You will be required to complete a relevant English language test and obtain the necessary score if you wish to claim points for either proficient or superior English language ability.

Your test must have been completed before your visa application is lodged and must no more than two years old when you make your application.

Level Evidence required Points
  • IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least eight on each of the four components ‐ speaking, reading, listening and writing or,
  • evidence that you undertook a language test and attained a score as specified by the Minister
  • IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least seven on each of the four components ‐ speaking, reading, listening and writing or,
  • evidence that you undertook a language test and attained a score as specified by the Minister
  • evidence that you hold an eligible passport or,
  • IELTS TRF Number to show you have a band score of at least six on each of the four components ‐ speaking, reading, listening and writing or,
  • evidence that you undertook a language test and attained a score as specified by the Minister

Which English language test should I sit?

Generally, you will be required to take the general training test of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). In some circumstances a higher level of English is required for specific occupations where it forms part of the skills assessment application. In those circumstances the skills assessing body may require you to take the academic test.

Secondary applicants who need to show they have functional English may use an IELTS test if the secondary applicant sat the test no more than 12 months before the visa application was lodged.

Health requirements

It’s compulsory for you and any secondary applicants to undergo a health examination. The purpose of this examination is that it protects the Australian community from any health risks.

To be considered risk free, you and any additional applicants must be free from diseases or conditions considered to be health risks.

The health examination is critical because it:

  • helps reduce and constrains public spending on health and community services, which also affects social security, pensions and allowances
  • reduces the threat of the Australian community being exposed to potential health risks and illnesses
  • improves access to health care and community services in short supply

Generally all visa applicants must meet the health requirements, and sometimes their dependents must also meet the requirements, regardless of whether they are migrating to Australia.

In certain cases where a condition or disease has been identified which requires a follow up medical check, you may be required to sign a Medical Officer of the Commonwealth (MOC). In this case you will need to sign a Health Undertaking to meet the health requirement.

Character requirements

Every visa applicant is required to meet the character requirements set out by the Department of Immigration & Border Protection before entering Australia.

Character requirements for temporary and permanent migration

To be considered good of character, you will be asked to provide police clearance certificates for every country that you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age.

Visa costs

Please refer to Australia visa costs and fees.

Skilled Nominated visa application guidelines

A certified copy of a full birth certificate for the main applicant and each secondary applicant must be included in your application.

If birth certificates are not available in your country of birth, other evidence to confirm birth details include, but are not limited to the following:

  • baptism certificate
  • court documents that verify your date of birth
  • copies of military service records or discharge papers
  • family book showing date of birth
  • hospital birth records
  • ID document issued by your government
  • Passport
  • school records

Visa Holders


All main and secondary applicants must comply with all Australia laws.

If you are sponsored by a State or Territory, you must also:

  • reside in that State or Territory for at least 2 years
  • keep your local government informed of any changes to your personal details such as address details
  • comply with completing surveys and provide information as requested